Where I was on Sunday and what to call it

The place where I photographed the falcon seen in last Sunday’s post is marked by the arrow on the map. I know it as Carn Gloose, but The National Trust, to whom the land belongs, calls it Ballowall. The Cornish Language Partnership Signage Panel’s agreed name for the neolithic long-barrow there is Kruk Karrekloos, meaning (word for word) “barrow (of) rock grey”.

The view to the west shows Longships lighthouse off Land’s End. The panel seems not to have decided about Longships yet, but for Land’s End they have Pedn an Wlas, “end (of) the land”.

To the east is Cape Cornwall, the only cape in England. The panel’s Cornish name for this is Kilgoodh. I’m a bit puzzled by this name, which appears to mean (again word for word) “back (of) goose”. It has been called this, apparently, since the 17th century at least.

4 thoughts on “Where I was on Sunday and what to call it

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.